Sunday 10 December 2017

Bookend Awards Interlude: Best Other TV

Now, I haven’t been watching too much this year, mostly because I’m slowly working my way through old Doctor Who and Star Trek, which is an insanely long proposition. But there you go, this is what I scraped together. Making this list made me realise I watch FAR too many cartoons for someone my age.

60s Star Trek – Gene Roddenbury’s classic. You have to have your camp meter set to maximum to enjoy this. I love watching old shows like this and I was amazed at how many references to this show I’d seen and not even realised were references. But yea, prepare yourself for some hilarious sets, effects, fights and acting.


Aeon Flux – Peter Chung’s avant-garde science fiction series. It’s bloody weird, and I’m still not sure if I preferred it before or after they stopped having no dialogue, but it’s like nothing else.


Big Mouth – Gross out heart-warming cartoon about kids going through puberty. It has a pretty, uh, divisive art style, but I enjoyed it.


Bojack Horseman Series 4 – Yep, Bojack is still a piece of shit, and yes, you still feel sorry for him. If you liked the older series, you should like this one.


Inside Number 9 – Comedy from the people who brought you the league of gentlemen and Psychoville. If you liked either of those series I think you’ll like this, and they really do use the framing device of each plot just taking place in a different house that is a number 9 to full effect, giving all sorts of different genres and characters. I do however think that sometimes they tried too hard to fit a big twist into the episodes, and because they are so varied some may just be misses to you based on your preferences.


John Pertwee Era Doctor Who – If you can’t hack the black and white, then Pertwee is the best place to start classic Who, and he’s one of the best Doctors in my opinion. The Unit family and earthbound nature of the first few seasons gives this a very different feel, especially with the introduction of the Master, but the vast majority of Pertwee’s run is very strong. Of course, as is par for the course with classic who, you have to be able to accept some hilariously bad special effects as part of the package.


OK K.O. – After years of Pushing, Ian Jones Quarterly finally got Cartoon Network to back his cartoon, and you know, it’s pretty good. In some recent episodes we have had some whisperings of plot, but for the most part it’s been happy just being a slice of life with K.O., Enid and Rad at Mr Gar’s Bodega at Lakewood Plaza Turbo. Can be patchy, and there’s no tricking yourself that you’re not watching a children’s cartoon, but I had a fun time! Also, they manage to get some really unexpected people turning up as voice actors!



Rick and Morty Series 3 – Like a lot of people I thought this was the weakest season yet, but I still found it pretty funny overall. It seems like Dan harmon is having a mental breakdown and is getting super bitter over his divorce, and it might be affecting the show, but let’s see what next series holds before I write the show off. It might just be because it’s broken through to the normies and I hate to share.


South Park – After the complete abortion that was the last series, Matt and Trey have pulled back on the season long arcs and betting on far from guaranteed political results to make their episodes work. I still need to finish it but this season was a definite step in the right direction.


Steven Universe – Yea yea, I know this is a show for cucks and autists historically (so I'll fit right in), but what can I say, it has its claws into me now. The bomb format was a very bad idea, and it feels like very few episodes aired this year, which has lead to the towny episodes, that I’m usually fine with, really start to feel more like padding when the actual plot should be getting resolved. I could make a lot of complaints about how various plots and characters have been handled the last season or so, but I just have to remind myself it’s a cartoon for little kids, and stop being so autistic. I still think it’s a fun series overall.

Xavier Renegade Angel  - Frutata! I watched this as people were for some reason bringing it up as the anti-Rick and Morty. I’m not sure if I’d say that, but it was bloody entertaining insanity, and I’m glad it’s getting seen more, even if it’s about a decade after it first aired.


Yes, Minister – I’m slowly working my way through this old political comedy, and it’s both still surprisingly funny and horrifically relevant to today’s politics. Why does nothing ever change? If you enjoyed The Thick of It you should do yourself a favour and check this one out.


And the winner is...

                Inside Number 9



Now, Louis will be mad at me, because I’m a useless sack of shit and haven’t even started season 3 yet, and as comedy is so subjective you may just hate this, but picking this up reminded me how much I love some of the weird shit the UK pumps out when it comes to comedy outside of the god awful sitcoms. Plus I really didn’t want to pick a cartoon and look like even more of a man child than I already do.

No comments:

Post a Comment