Monday 11 December 2017

Bookend Awards Interlude: Best Songs

Yea, I listen to weird music. I haven't asked him, but you can take it as a given that this list is 100% NOT approved of by Louis.

Aozora no Rhapsody by fhána – Fuck off. This song makes me happy. Leave me alone.

Bow Down by CHVRCHES – I like CVURCHES album ‘Every Open Eye’, and this is my favourite song from the album. Not really much more to it than that.


Circles by Machineheart – Listening back, I don’t know why, the weird breakdown is weird, and the other half feels like pop bs voice, but it works for me.


Komm Süsser Todd (Come Sweet Death) – Heard it in the End of Evangelion, and damn, it’s such a glorious celebration of your impending death. I recommend as a song to commit suicide to. Not from personal experience though, obviously.



Ghost by Mystery Skulls – i quite like this whole album by mystery skull, and I don’t know if this is just because it’s the first song by them that I heard, but Ghost is the one that’s stuck with me.


Greuxx by ロードス(Rhodes) – Mmm, I just love the sick vibrations as Greuxx progresses. Those dirty dirty techno riffs take me to my happy place.

Lay Down by Caravan Palace – It’s pretty weird, with an insistent beat. I like it.

Motteke! Sailor Fuku! by Aya Hirano, Emiri Katō, Kaori Fukuhara, and Aya Endō – It’s some anime bullshit, and the lyrics are hilariously raunchy for such a vanilla slice of life if you translate them. But man, this makes me want to order a second bowl of tonkatsu and bemoan my dull winter school uniform. Then become a cheer leader.

Point Of View by DB Boulevard –The nineties are calling and they want this song back. But it’s good shit that I somehow haven’t heard before. I mean, I’m sure I have, but I never knew the song’s name before, so I’m keeping it.

Lift Off by Suken – Sick beats my friends. Dare I say, the sickest? Suken know what the fuck they’re doing, and no mistake.

Sweet Blue Flag from the Killer7 OST – I Couldn’t give them the best gaming score and not have a track from them here. It’s a toss up between this and Rave On that I linked in that award, but I think Sweet Blue Flag just has that insistent pulse that get’s you super pumped. But, let’s be honest, the entire OST is gold.

Underground Gem by Windmills – I still need to catch up with their newest album, but Windmills are a class act and some good rappers. It was either this, or Bring Out The Sun, but I thought it was just too easy to pick the song that sampled music from Demon’s Souls.


Vintage by Allie X – What can I say, loving that vintage chintz.

Youkoso! Hitori Bocchi – This song is depression incarnate that plays at various points in Welcome to the N.H.K.  and a strong contender with Komm Süsser Todd for best song to commit suicide to.


And the winner is...

                Komm Süsser Todd

Yea, I feel dirty for picking a song I heard in an anime, even if it was a feature film one, but what can I say, I think it’s the song I’ve listened to the most this year since I heard it. And, god damn, it’s just so glorious and sad. If anyone heard me play it I’d half expect them to think I was depressed or suicidal, but that’s just missing the point. This isn’t a song about ending it all, it’s a song for when things are already ending, and while mistakes have been made and it may be sad, you may have regrets, you may want a do over, but it doesn’t matter – it all returns to nothing. Then you turn into Tang.

No comments:

Post a Comment