Saturday 9 December 2017

Bookend Game Awards: Best Role Playing Game

I’ll admit it, I was shocked at how few RPG’s I played this year. Some of these are real tenuous, I can’t deny. In my defence I played a couple of long ones last year, but yea... here are my nominations, plz no bully.

  • Dark Souls – You can level up and upgrade gear, it’s an RPG action game, so I’m counting it.
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse – You can level up and re skill your character, so again, fight me irl.
  • Dust: An Elysium Tale – Yea, there is levelling, and that’s about it, the most tenuous imo.
  • Lost Kingdoms – A real time rpg where you use cards to summon monsters and powers in combat. From FROMSOFT of the Souls series fame! I still need to finish it, but it’s pretty interesting.
  • Sunless Sea – Prepare your steamer and crew, and have all sorts of adventured in and out of port in sunken London. It may not be what you traditionally think of as an RPG, but there are more opportunities for “role playing” in this than a turn based RPG that just pushes you down a corridor and throws plot at you.


And the winner is:

                Sunless Sea


I love this game, it’s a shame the ship combat is weak, but the setting, ship management and role playing opportunities were massively entertaining. Choose to be a trader, a pirate, follow the stories of your crew, smuggle souls to demons, Help the Admiralty defeat the Khanate or go on an ill advised trip to the surface and smuggle back a box of sunlight. Dip your toe into the inky abyss now and join the fun!


Next up we have the Best Action/Adventure Game!

No comments:

Post a Comment