Saturday 9 December 2017

Bookend Game Awards: Games for Impact

What’s this supposed to mean? Like, I think I know when I see a game that would get “Games for impact” as an award. But I hate what a nebulous concept it is. Something progressive? Something that raises awareness? Is it impact on the game industry? The playerbase? Society as a whole? Could a game that has had a horrible impact still be considered a “Game for Impact”? Eh, to me it seems like an excuse to talk about games that look good to nominate, but are unlikely to win by merit in any other category. I’ll try not to be too much of a troll with my nominations.
  • Lone Survivor – Lonlyness, depression, survival. Lone survivor is more like Silent Hill 2 than modern Silent Hill’s.
  • Inside – I feel like there is something here to do with experiments, exploitation, being hunted. I dunno. There’s something here, but I played it so early in the year I'm fuzzy on the details...
  • Killer7 – You play as a man in a wheelchair, in an abusive relationship with a schoolgirl/Maid, who is an assassin, and is probably insane. Of the other Killer7 you play a black guy, a Mexican, an albino, a blind boy, a self harming woman and a Luchadore. And there’s a gimp. Diverse. As. Fuck.
  • OneShot – Cute little cat child tries to save a world full of robots struggling with sentience and organic people trying to hang onto what’s left of their decaying world, and you, the person sitting at the computer,  are basically a character and god. It’s something.
  • Overwatch – The cast line up is more diverse than a UN meeting. And not a single one I wouldn’t bang. But I have a special place for my bae Roadhog <3


And the winner is:

                Lone Survivor


Jasper Byrne always deserves more love for this game, plus this and OneShot were pretty much the only non Joke answers, quite hard to pick between them though, but overall I feel Lone Survivor is dealing with more relatable themes so it wins this in my opinion questionable category. I’m 50/50 on if I was joking about Killer7. 

Join me next time for Best Performance!


I’ll level with you, this will be another mostly joke category for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment